Fall has come.
I sit at my desk
in the dark
wrapped in blankets

A pale light
casts my face as marble.
I read from Thomas De Quincey's
Confessions of an Opium Eater.

"My dreams were accompanied
by deep-seated anxiety
and gloomy melancholy,
such as are wholly incommunicable by words.
I seemed every night
to descend,
into chasms and sunless abysses,
depths below depths,
from which it seemed hopeless
that I could ever reascend."

With an opium pipe,
I could slip deep into reveries
transcend,
roiling back
to sit beside De Quincey
as he sweats,
tossing and turning in his bed,
trying, failing
to wean himself
from the drug that is killing him.
I would hold his hand
in the dark - and tell him
he isn't alone.
Perhaps, together,
we might find some way
out of the abyss.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

You should look at the first post.

But if I must sum up? This blog is for the joy of writing.